Section 42-7A-17 of the South Dakota Codified Laws
Establish policy for the operation of the State Lottery, promulgate rules governing the establishment and
operation of a State Lottery to include:
1. The types of instant, on-line and video lottery games to be conducted.
2. The manner of selecting the winning tickets.
3. The manner of payment of prizes.
4. The frequency of the drawings.
5 The types of locations tickets are sold.
6. The methods to be used in selling tickets.
7 Qualifications for lottery licensees and application fees.
8. Amount and method of compensation to be paid lottery retailers.
9. Deadlines for claims for prize winners.
10. Approval of all major procurements.
11. Security procedures involving lottery transactions.
Seven members appointed by the Governor and confirmed by the Senate. Members must be a citizen of
the United States and a resident of South Dakota. Not all from the same political party. Chairman
chosen annually by membership.
Term of Appointment:
Three Years. No more than two consecutive terms