Section 1-40-15 of the South Dakota Codified Laws
Issues, denies or cancels water permits, establishes surface and groundwater quality standards, approves
groundwater discharge permits, establishes drinking water standards, sets ordinary high water marks,
regulates water use, establishes safety of dams standards, validates vested water right claims, issues
water quality variances, establishes well construction standards, establishes standards for above and
below ground storage tanks and underground injection wells.
Attached to the Department of Environment and Natural Resources
Seven members appointed by the Governor with no more than four members from the same political
(1) One member at large;
(2) One member experienced in municipal government and operations;
(3) One member experienced in irrigation methods and techniques;
(4) One member knowledgeable of the concerns of domestic water users;
(5) One member experienced in the area of industrial uses of water;
(6) One member shall represent fish and wildlife interests; and
(7) One member must have a valid South Dakota well-driller's license.
Term of Appointment: